Introducing Block Science An design-based extension of the unit block system created around physics to harness the energy of play.
Block Science Foundation Sets
This pioneering extension of the unit blocks system adds a rich layer of cognitive development to traditional classroom block play. Block Science takes a design-based approach to block play by encouraging children to experience authentic design challenges, test out multiple solution pathways, work collaboratively with others, and connect block play to their understandings of math, science, engineering, and the arts.
Through play with Block Science, children will:
• Move from simple models of roads and structures to functional, 3-dimensional building through the inclusion of added stability materials
• Develop and test design solutions to real-world challenges involving force, motion, and movement
• Explore architectural and design imagery from all over the world to inspire and extend understandings of the built environment
• Work to extend familiar block play with new design challenges in uprightness, balance, and stability
• Develop physical models and explore the models’ functionality while working alongside peers
The Foundation Sets are designed to exercise early engineering concepts, collaboration, and the study of matter, motion, and mathematics. Plastic building and roadway clips stabilize builds, drawbridges, and loops to enable taller, sturdier and movable tracks and builds. Simplified, wooden cars with plastic wheels easily glide across the solid wood tracks while carrying algebraic people designed for mathematical and dramatic play activities.
Block Science Concept Cards
Our concept cards are just that- visual concepts that show the correlation between the world we live in and how we can shape that world and the related concepts using the Block Science system.
Please consider these cards below as a starting point for building within the Block Science system. Happy building!
Budding engineers create winding country roads or express highways easily connected with overmolded plastic clips. Sets are available in three sizes to fit classroom needs. See all of our Foundation Sets here.
The Block Science Foundation Sets are designed to be used with Unit Blocks to create towering cities and sturdy bridges. Available in corresponding sizes to complement each Foundation Set here.